Available in Watford, Hemel Hempstead, Borehamwood, Rickmansworth, Berkhamsted, Tring & South Oxhey
Our main service is one-to-one counselling. Every week our counsellors see over 120 young people across South and West Herts. We run three streams of counselling:
- Early Intervention and Prevention Project (funded by Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services – CAMHS) provides a maximum of 12 sessions of counselling for 13-18 year-olds who have not previously had support
- Young people aged 13-18 who have already received support from specialist CAMHS or from the Early Intervention and Prevention Project but need more support because they have recurring or enduring difficulties can join the waiting list for our ‘Counselling Plus’ project. You will be offered 12 sessions with the possibility of an extension if needed.
- Young people aged 19-24 whose issues are not serious enough to be seen by Adult Mental Health Services can join our ‘Counselling Plus’ project, but there will be a charge of between £8 and £25 depending on your circumstances
Counselling provides a neutral, trusting and non-judgemental relationship in which you can try to resolve your problems. Having someone to listen to you and encourage you helps you to understand and explore your problems and find solutions. Counselling concentrates more on understanding the problem and its causes than coaching or mentoring. The solution you achieve can be external, such as working on having a better relationship with your parents, or internal, such as stopping blaming yourself for something that is not your fault. Counselling usually focuses on the internal or emotional difficulties people face, such as:
• The internal causes of stress and anxiety
• Depression and low moods
• Relationships causing emotional turmoil
• Living with the emotional impact of abuse and trauma
• Understanding your identity, including confusion about race, gender or sexuality
• Coping with bereavement
• Living with a disability or disorder, including ADHD
Currently counselling is available in Watford, Hemel Hempstead, Borehamwood, Rickmansworth, Berkhamsted, Tring and South Oxhey.
Find out more at ‘How we Work’ or call 01923 239495